One Man Dead in Quantico Apartment Fire

| August 22, 2015 | 0 Comments | News
Credit: Prince William Fire & Rescue

Credit: Prince William Fire & Rescue

One man died in a deadly Quantico apartment fire, Thursday, that was caused by smoking materials.

The deceased has been identified as Frank Anthony Desanto, a 69-year-old male, who resided in the apartment of the fire’s origin.

According to a release by the Prince William Department of Fire and Rescue, crews were dispatched to the 200 block of Broadway Avenue in the Town of Quantico, Aug. 20 at 7:30 a.m.

“Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed smoke coming from a second floor apartment,” Kim Hylander, Prince William Communications Director for the Department of Fire and Rescue, said. “A second alarm was requested after first arriving crews confirmed that several people were trapped on the second floor,”

Hylander said two of the residents were rescued by ground ladders, while another three were evacuated through the interior stairs.

As firefighters proceeded, to suppress and extinguish the fire, they searched for additional residents.

“The five occupants were evaluated on the scene, three received treatment, but all refused transport to the hospital,” Hylander said.

Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced residents. Additionally, they provided rehabilitation assistance to fire and police personnel.

Preliminary damages are estimated at $30,000.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire started in the bedroom of a second floor apartment; the cause of the fire has been determined as improperly discarded smoking materials.

The Prince William County Fire Marshal’s Office worked in collaboration with the Prince William County Police Department and was supported by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in the investigation of this fatal incident.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee urges residents to take precautions when using smoking materials.

“Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and although unintentional, the majority of home smoking-material fires are caused by human error,” McGee said.

The department has included the following advice on how to smoke in manner that could help to prevent a fire.

  If you smoke, smoke outside: Provide an area for individuals to properly extinguish and safely discard smoking materials; Do Not discard butts or ashes into mulch laden landscapes, flower beds, grassy areas, woods, etc.

 Before you throw out butts and ashes, douse in water or sand.

 Use deep, wide, sturdy ashtrays on a sturdy foundation, e.g. table.

 Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.

 Never smoke in bed. Mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily. Do not smoke in bed because you might fall asleep with a lit cigarette.

 Be alert when smoking! You won’t be alert if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.

 Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is used.

 If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes; they are less likely to cause fires.

 Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.

For more information, visit U.S. Fire Administration (USFA).

 

© 2015, Bristow Beat. All rights reserved.

Facebook Comments
Print Friendly

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: News

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

banner ad